Saturday, June 6, 2015

June Pinterest Pick 3: Summer Inspiration

I am a little late linking up for this Pinterest pick, but better late than never. I have been so busy on my first week off of summer break finalizing wedding plans. I made my list and checked it twice. Yes I have only been out of school for a week, but I am already thinking about next school year. The following are different ideas I plan to utilize next year. 




First off I love the idea of interactive notebooks. Have I successfully used them throughout a whole school year no, but I do wish to implement them next year a stick to them. I like this post because it gives the teacher ways to successfully use them without losing your mind and keeping your sanity.

Does it drive you crazy to see your students shuffling through the notebooks trying to find their next empty page? Do they constantly leave empty pages between entries? Do YOU hate having to spend time finding the page you are looking to assess? Then, the cutting corners method is for you! When you assess notebooks, cut the upper right corner. Just place your thumb on the upper right hand corner and flip…you're on a fresh page! Ta-da!


I don't know about you, but in Georgia we implemented a new standardized test this year that had a TON of writing. My students were basically expected to write like high school students and use evidence based reasoning to support their ideas. My students were not familiar with the words cite, evidence, support, etc. coming from a home where English is not their first language is difficult in setting the bar so high that it is almost unreachable. I did what any teacher would do and had to train the students to write to the test. Shhhh I didn't say that, but yes I did. Writing in my opinion should be creative and expressive, but that is not what the test clearly wants. They want research, evidence based logic. 

We're Big on Evidence | 21 Cool Anchor Charts To Teach Close-Reading Skills


I have created tons of standards based task cards on TPT and I love these ten ways to use them effectively. Go check it out!!

10 Ways to Use Task Cards for Test Prep


Follow me on Pinterest below!
Jennifer Griffin

3 comments:

  1. Awesome pins, Jennifer! Thank you so much for linking up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Jennifer! I was so excited when I read that you're an ESL teacher. Not to mention, I'm just over the state line in Sweet Home Alabama. We've GOT to connect! I use interactive notebooks too, but I haven't tried the "cut the corners" method yet. I may have to teach that procedure this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, I got so excited that I didn't really finish my comment...I am an ESL teacher too. That was the whole point of my comment, yet I left it out! *summer brain*

    ReplyDelete